GROW: The Issues
Join the GROW campaign
Together with Oxfam, I am part of a global movement of people who believe that everyone can have access to a sufficient amount of food and I am helping build a world where:
- Food prices have been stabilised and their levels ensure that families can meet their food needs;
- Small farmers are recognised for the key role they play in food production;
- People affected by climate change receive the support they need to adapt to it;
- Local communities everywhere have access to land.
FOOD PRICE SPIKESWhen you spend 80% of your income on food, as many poor families are forced to do, a sudden increase in food prices can be devastating.
SUPPORT FOR SMALL-SCALE FARMINGSmall-scale farmers are too often left behind in development efforts. It is high time we gave them the support they deserve, so that they can realize their full potential.
CLIMATE CHANGERising temperatures are causing crop yields to fall, while extreme weather events are becoming more frequent and severe, with devastating impacts.
LAND GRABSAll over the world, land transactions are forcing vulnerable farmers to leave the land that guarantees their livelihood. This land is then used to produce biofuels or food exports, or simply for speculation that drives up profits.
- COP17 as seen by Oxfam
- Extreme weather endangers food security: 2010-11: A grim foretaste of future suffering and hunger?
- Growing a Better Future: Food justice in a resource-constrained world (summary)
- Land and Power: The growing scandal surrounding the new wave of investments in land (summary)
- A Dangerous Delay: The cost of late response to early warnings in the 2011 drought in the Horn of Africa (summary)
- A safe and just space for humanity: Can we live within the doughnut?