Giving to a charitable organization through a bequest or will is a simple way to establish a lasting legacy. This powerful assertion of your personal values leaves a sustainable mark on your community, communicating a message of hope to future generations. Legacy giving is particularly apt for people seeking an accessible way to make a major donation to a cause that is meaningful to them.
Why make a legacy gift to Oxfam-Québec?
- Your heirs will have a lower tax burden, since legacy giving confers the right to a tax credit – charitable donation calculator
- You are choosing to assert your values of cooperation, solidarity, and justice – even after your passing – by supporting sustainable and practical projects
- You can change your mind at any time, simply by changing your will
- This process is easy to set up
How to make a legacy gift to Oxfam-Québec?
You need only include a clause in your will designating Oxfam-Québec as a beneficiary, and specifying the nature of your legacy gift.
Which type of legacy gift should you choose?
- A specific bequest transfers a portion of the inheritance; this may consist of a percentage of the estate, a specific amount, or particular goods/assets that you own.
- A residual bequest designates a portion of the remainder of the estate after the payment of debts and other bequests. For example, if you have $120,000 in assets, you can choose to leave $50,000 to each of your two children and the remainder to Oxfam-Québec.
- A universal bequest covers the entirety of the estate’s assets.
Where can I learn more about legacy giving?
You can communicate directly with Oxfam-Québec:
By mail addressed to:
Service aux membres d’Oxfam-Québec
2330, rue Notre-Dame Ouest
Montréal (Québec) H3J 2Y2
Refer to a certified person (notary or financial planner) to ensure your interests and those of your loved ones are protected. You can also obtain clear and unbiased information by reaching out to the following bodies:
To go further
Discover projects that are changing the world
Donate stock market shares
Donate by life insurance